Sunday, November 23, 2008

From the mouths of babes...

I am constantly amazed by what our kids pick up on, especially figures of speech or mannerisms they observe in adults. A few days ago, I had the unusual pleasure of driving alone with Sam and listening to him without the normal din and cry of his siblings. We were stopped at a light, and all of a sudden Sam--in a very grown up voice--says, "Dad, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

It was all I could do to not laugh, both at his grown up tone and at what he asked. After stifling my giggle, I answered "I don't know, Sammy, what are you thinking?"

Sam paused, evidently thinking about what he was supposed to be thinking about, and finally exclaimed "SNOOPY!"

Needless to say, I was not thinking about Snoopy but I was glad that his sweet, precious little mind didn't have anything more serious to think about than Snoopy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! There's nothing like the non-sequitor conversations kids have when they're just trying on your words as their own. I never really realized just how much our kids listen to us until I was driving one day and my son said, "Hey dad? %*$#@!%#***" and I drove into a lampost.

Just be sure not to let them see you when you're being a real man or they might end up doing this when they grow up:

http://www.deathbychildren.com/scat/the-water-pik-netti-pot-listerine-dont-try-this-at-home-sinus-irrigation-disaster/