Saturday, January 10, 2009

A complete misnomer....

Sleepovers. Completely misnamed. More like, no sleep while you're over, but I guess that is just too long. We are in that season of our lives (acutally in that season of Annie's life) where sleepovers are becoming an every weekend event. I must start by saying that we are still slightly lucky. I mean, Jack hasn't really started having sleepovers yet (not because he doesn't want to but because his parents are in complete denial that he is old enough) and the little boys are a few years off. Our Jack does get asked over to his friend Jack W.'s house often, but having his friends here, just hasn't happened much yet. The Grahams don't really count, I mean, of course they count, but they are more like family. Annie, on the other hand, is all over it. Last night is a perfect example. Her sweet friend Brigitte came over after school for a playdate. This is always a slippery slope on a Friday. The girls had a fabulous time at the block party that ensued in front of Sarah's house (I think the grand total was 4 moms and 18 kids, not counting the one in Ginger's belly). And I was actually quite surprised at how long they waited before the lobbying began.
"Hey Mom, do you think we could have a sleepover?"
In a moment of weakness I responded, why not! I must say that Brigitte couldn't be a more lovely guest. I guess being the youngest of 4, and Annie being the oldest of 4, and both girls having only brothers, well, they just know to expect and embrace the craziness that comes from big families. So, the block party ended and we went home, the Grahams joined us for dinner and a movie (although I'm not sure this is ever truly enjoyable for Sarah since inevitably one of her boys leaves my house in tears...usually it is Kyle, but he was working late last night). After a couple of quick stories, the boys were out like a light. We told the girls they could stay up until 9:30 (very early by most sleepover standards, at least so I'm told by the girls) which is way past normal (my) bedtime. Ames, Annie and Brig played a fun-filled game of Monopoly, including a hilarious "I won Free Parking" dance started by Ames and perfected by Brig. Finally, at 9:50, the girls settled down on their bed and whispered until who knows when....I went to sleep! At 3:20 I woke to the sounds of more whispers (who am I kidding, I woke to a 4 year old climbing over me trying to get to the good spot in the middle of our bed...but I did hear the whispers). The girls assured me that they had just woken up and couldn't get back to sleep. Too sleepy to pursue the truth and hopeful that it was just a bad dream, I went back to bed. Only to be awakened for good at 6:30 by Jack (don't these kids know it is Saturday and they don't have to get up!!!) Low and behold....Annie and Brigitte were already awake and watching TV in the den!!!!!!!! Yikes, do they ever sleep. So, later today, after friends have gone home and 3 basketball games are played, the crash will occur. Thank goodness we already have a babysitter lined up for tonight! Good luck to her!


Beautiful girls!!! (yes, they do brush their teeth, but couldn't resist this pic after a little black frosting from a snowman cookie....may come back to haunt them someday...heh heh!)

2 comments:

Ames said...

The Monopoly game was hilarious. Not only did the girls gang up on me, but there was some creative banking going on! I was also very amused by the girls calling me a "cheapsteak" and "cheapsake"! It reminded me of this: http://playingzonedefense.blogspot.com/2008/10/437-in-category-of-funny-things-kids.html .

Ames said...

Should have linked to this .