Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thank you...

Madagascar 2!!! Thank you for introducing my son Will (age 5) to the wonder of breasts! My family loves Madagascar 1, it was silly, yes, but sweet and very funny. The sequel left much to be desired. Wildly inappropriate and just plain stupid (yes, in case my kids are reading this, I know that isn't a nice word, but it just fit). In one scene of the movie there is a male hippo (Moto Moto) who is flexing his very hairy, large pecs. Which brings the question into Will's mind, isn't that a boy hippo? Answer: yes. Then why does he have boobies? My oh my, how the mind reels with possible answers. We deal with the situation in what seems to us an age-appropriate way. Yet, the seed has been planted. Everywhere we go for the next several days, weeks, everything is about "boobies." Hers are big, she doesn't have any, why are boys' so small, do they grow when you are a grown up or is that just for hippos? If boy boobies are big does that mean they have milk inside...and the questions go on and on. First, I must say that I told Will not to call them boobies. That for men, it is just a chest....that somehow translated in Will-speak to "chesties." So, for those of you who need an anatomy refresher...women have boobies and men have chesties. It just won't stop!! Even now as we sit and watch Shrek the Halls, Will doesn't see the funny decorations Shrek has put on their house (including such 5 year old classics as a toilet seat on the door)...no, he asks what are those two circles on Fiona's chest? You know...her boobies? Nice. Thanks to Dream Works for this early education in the differences in our anatomy. I guess we have learned one thing thru it all....Will is definitely a boob man (sorry, chesty man)!

No comments: